Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Did I Miss the Punch Line?

   I really enjoyed the readings today about the fashion senseless man and the Tip-Top Club.However neither, especially the radio one, struck me as particularly funny.  When I first read the radio story I kept waiting for the punch line, when I finally got to the end I had an empty feeling that perhaps I just missed something, which is possible, but for the life of me I can not figure out what it is. The story was a good one and I could see the irony between the positive point of the show and how its listeners actually react poorly to a new host, but this still did not make me laugh. Perhaps the story was more of a parody on radio shows, the industry, and its devoted followers but I could not really get into that side of it.

   What I did gain from the radio story was more a sense of inspiration.  I actually liked the idea of a "news" show that focused on a community and finding joy in stressful everyday life.  This is a great contrast between typical news shows that seem to point out all of societies flaws. Before the Club got hostile and cultish I really like the flow of the story. Perhaps because I was inspired by the first part, it stopped me from finding more humor in the second half because I took it too seriously. Either way, it left me entertained and refreshed but I would not say amused.

   The next story was much more funny to me, although not quite laugh out loud.  The story itself was so human, talking about the insecurities all people face with fashion and their external appearances.  I enjoyed this story because it was relatable and realistic. I wouldn't say the story had wit, but it certainly had honesty, which made it that much better.  I loved the imagery and silly rhymes for all the fashion don'ts.  The crazy clothing choices the man makes throughout the story and all his self doubt and depreciation were definitely amusing.  I especially loved the butt enhancing pants and catheter. Each fashion fail was a story of its own that ultimately led to the full circle completion of the story. I really enjoyed how blunt the narrator is and the way he shares all his misfortunes and internal thoughts.

   One of the things that was best for me was the reliability of this story.  As a woman I have certainly struggled with body image issues and bad fashion decisions. There have been many a time where some over the top body enhancing product or crazy clothing item has been tempting for just a moment.  My mom also happens to be great at the same game the narrator's sister plays where she convinces you that you NEED some silly item.  Keeping up with fashion is a task all of its own and I have definitely felt behind before.  I was a tomboy in elementary school and did not figure out how to dress myself properly till my Junior year of high school.  Even today I find myself fighting Texas fashion with my California senses which often gets me made fun of.  Clothing and fashion will always prevail to be ever changing and demanding and the way this story combined all these problems into a very personal narration definitely kept me amused.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shelby,

    thanks for posting on the readings. I also did not find either hilarious, but like you I did appreciate the Sedaris text more. We all succumb to attempts at fashion. dw

    ReplyDelete