Monday, September 17, 2012

First Meeting with Bandar!

      Well I can certainly say that this whole "conversation partner" thing has been a very different experience than what I expected.  After two weeks of scheduled appointments, cancelations, and busy days, I finally got to meet with my conversation partner at a table outside of 1873.  In all honesty I was expecting a shy person of hispanic or asian decent around the age of 20.  In reality my conversation partner is a laid back 30-year-old from Saudi Arabia who has had a conversation partner in the past, so our meeting was nothing new to him.  Although we did have instances where communication was difficult, he was not uncomfortable talking, asking questions, and answering them.

      We talked for a bit about TCU, business, and where he comes from.  I was amazed to learn about the heat his home area receives. He told me that only about two months of the year were cool, while the rest was like summer with temperatures commonly going over 115 degrees! He also explained to me that families are bigger there and that he was one of six siblings, three brothers and three sisters.  When I told him I lived in California he asked me if I lived close to San Diego because he has traveled there before and that is where is brother is attending business school now.  He had visited Los Angeles before which is close to my home town and wondered why would ever want to go to Texas with all the universities and great weather in California.

      Toward the end of our conversation time we began to talk about things that really interest both of us.  He has travelled all over the globe through North America, South America, Europe, and Asia. I asked him about his favorite places he had gone and he recommended that I had to go to Brazil during "Carnival" to see all the crazy people and just how beautiful the area is.  Another place he recommended was Sicily because of its diversity of people, cultures, and ethnicities. I got the feeling that he really enjoys a youthful and partying lifestyle after he told me more about Carnival and how he drinks tequila to get through the 15 hour plane trips on his way back home.  He also has owned and rode horses so when I mentioned the equestrian team we got to talk about the differences between the different types of horses and how American horses are different than the thinner, more elegant Arabian horses. 

      Overall I was very surprised at how well traveled and laid back my conversation partner was, but I had a fine time talking to him and laughing about cars, horses, and travel. I don't know what we will talk about next but I am interested to see how the next seven meetings go!

No comments:

Post a Comment